Kaban ni D_BystandeR: PAGHANDOM ALANG NI MANO NENE


This is the first time I've seen the picture of my favorite and most admired "Mano Nene Pacifico" (posted in the FB account of his youngest son, Boyette, who is now living in the States), during his younger days when he was still working as a college professor in Bogo, Cebu (it was not a city yet), and my first degree cousin, Inday Leoning, was one of his students and where later on, they got married and were blessed with 11 children, all professionals). I heard him delivered a memorable speech at the wedding reception of his son, Ronnie and, wife, Susan in a well-known banquet hall in Cebu City (I just forgot the name), after the wedding ceremony that was held earlier at Guadalupe Church. And I cannot forget his prowess and mastery in delivering that speech, which was practically inherent in any true-bloodied Atenean. Mano Nene graduated in Ateneo de Manila in 1939. That speech was given in response to a speech delivered by Susan's mom, which was also delivered smoothly in a highly professional manner. Mano Nene was an intellectual giant and I cannot forget him when he told me during his time in college  ROTC in Manila, that Gen. Fabian Ver was his Junior Officer in ROTC, so that when he went to Malacanang during martial law to look for Gen. Ver, the guard on duty subjected him to stringent personal inquiry about his identity because at that time guards were very strict in Malacanang. But when Gen. Ver went downstairs from his office to meet him, the guard was a picture of too much disbelief because Gen. Ver executed a hand salute to Mano Nene,  and to which he snappily responded. Mano Nene was a "Pistol Expert" in his ROTC days while FM was a "Rifle Expert." And Mano Nene defeated FM during a Tactical Inspection where a company drill competition was held and FM cried because you know, FM, was a perfectionist and he could hardly believe that somebody defeated him in that competition. But FM was gracious and a perfect gentleman at that time in his defeat because he congratulated Mano Nene with a handshake and called him "Pacific." And even in Malacanang when FM, the Dictator, met him again, he still called him "Pacific." And in Northern Cebu during WWII he was  named the Supreme Commander of the Guerrilla forces where 6 towns were placed under his command. His war exploits were filled with breath-taking scenarios and I knew all of this  because I was able to interview him in the mid-70's when we happened to be neighbors in Cebu City and his son, Ronnie, was still studying engineering at that time. I planned to  write a book about his war exploits but it was time constraint and the lack of material time that prevented me from doing it. To tell all of the major events that he successfully passed through was very interesting and full of heroism but it might take me more pages to do it and my time here is limited. To Boyette, this is your Tiyo Ondo and I am very happy that I see a picture of your Dad taken during his younger days when he was still working as a college professor in Bogo City. Send my regards to my cousin, your Mama, Inday Leoning, and to all the folks around. From your Tiyo Ondo Lobedica, 05/31/15.

Footnote: This comment came out in connection with a FB account I saw about a close relative taken during his younger days as a college professor in Bogo, Cebu, when it was not yet made a city. The picture was posted in the FB account of his son, Boyette  Pacifico, last May 31, 2015.

Comments

Popular Posts