Kaban ni D_BystandeR: KINSA SI KANHI KORONEL JAMES PANUNCIALMAN???

Our life really is a continuing story full of exciting series of events where we can only proudly look back with awe as to how I was not able to let it out earlier after so many years despite what I personally consider now as its important historic value to me.

 In the early 1980's (probably 1983), when I had the chance to be assigned in the surrounding coldness of Palimpinon Geothermal Plant  of NAPOCOR (National Power Corp.) located up in the stiff hills of Valencia, Negros Oriental or about 26 kms. away from Dumaguete City. The natural sulfuric gas-propelled plant was  perched on top of a 7,000-meter-mountain elevation above the sea level that you can feel the coldness of the surrounding areas and the smell of sulfur pervading it even on a hot summer day. That assignment away from my original assignment in the Visayas Regional Center of Cebu City was to take me there for a span of almost 3 years until I was reassigned back to Cebu in May 1984. It was during that time while I was doing my "back-and-forth" trips to Negros and from Cebu that I came across that ship experience while travelling back home to Cebu. Travelling on board a passenger ship from Dumaguete City to Cebu City one night, I came across meeting somebody I will never forget my whole life.

It was 9pm and we just started to pull off the bustling pier of Dumaguete City when I spotted somebody from a short distance of about 10 meters away from my assigned cot. He was sporting what looks like a pricey wardrobe that wealthy landlords, as shown in the movie, used to wear with elegance in the comforts of their mansion. He got that look with an air of  confidence and authority. Fascinated to his somewhat meticulous appearance I tried to move a little closer to his direction and, pretending with some friendly greetings that we usually apply to a stranger we want to befriend,  I succeeded in attracting his attention with some few opening side remarks.

Then he said,  "That's why, at  first, I was puzzled at the start because I noticed you were somewhat nosy. But then I realized after knowing you were at one time exposed to the media before in your college days as a member of the "Student Press" in the University of San Carlos in Cebu City, that's why I begin to relax for I realize and I feel at ease with your credential after knowing who you are," he told me bluntly with a  measured smile. That started what could be a long story to tell because the guy I was talking to was a Retired Army Colonel James Panuncialman, whose family roots he claimed were from Carcar City. But he was on his way to his acquired hometown after retirement in Mabalacat, Pampanga. Most of his military assignments were largely in Luzon before he retired from the active service.

He was an avid fan of hard drinks, I believe, because he had a flat bottle of 5 years Tanduay Rum in his hand when I approached him. And perhaps he was having it in his attempt to ward off the loneliness commonly associated in sea travel as he was surrounded by fellow passengers he knew not from where. And maybe partly influenced by his friendly bottle of rum in his hand, he started telling me about his military exploits way back in his younger days when he was still a dashing and courageous Army officer.
He told me at one time he became the Commanding Officer (CO) in Pampanga. When the famed "Nardong Putik" was imprisoned (this man was personified by former Sen. Ramon Revilla in many of his "agimat" movies where he successfully played his role to the delight of his fans), he was the Jail Warden of Pampanga at that time and, he said, he was privy to the much talked-about magical powers attributed to the guy like becoming himself invisible, if he wants to, especially when he is near a muddy portion of  a given area. And he gave me this account, "I had a first hand experience of his 'supernatural power' and I saw it with my own eyes. How he was able to get out of his prison cell despite the big locks in his door," he  reminisced with amusement as he paused for awhile to make a short quick gulp of his favorite rum. He continued, "With only a towel in his hands, he just covered the locks with it and after awhile, presto!, he was able to unlock it with ease. He was really a gifted escape con artist," he exclaimed. And then he changed his topic. "I know General (Alfredo) Olano is the RECOM 7 Chief right now," he gently wiped his face with a white hand towel. "He was my junior officer before as a young lieutenant in the Army fresh from his graduation from the PMA. You can go to him and tell him about me, he knew me." "There was one time he (Olano) took a bath in a mountain spring in one of his assignments in Luzon, that he unknowingly left his ring on top of a big stone nearby.

Subsequently, in one of the military operations conducted against the NPA's, after searching the occupants inside the hut, he found his ring from one of the fatalities worn in his
finger in that encounter." "You can quote this to him when you meet him and I'm sure he will be happy to hear it from you because it's true," he proudly told me emphatically.  It was such a grim account of how Gen. Olano  was able to recover, by accident, his ring after that unforgettable encounter. Despite his (Panuncialman) prodding for me to see Gen. Olano inside his Cebu City camp and to bring his good message of warm regards from his senior officer in the military service, I failed to carry out his request owing to my busy paper works that I have to give priority in my limited travel to Cebu. That was my unforgettable experience in an unexpected meeting with Retired Colonel James Panuncialman more than 30 years ago.

Comments

Popular Posts