Kaban ni D_BystandeR: PAGHANDOM SA GUINSAUGON, LEYTE


The headline story" bearing the name of the place - Guinsaugon - struck me right away with special interest so I did not waste my time to read it carefully. Yes, that was in 2006, and by that time I was already 6 years in the States as a permanent  immigrant but I always make it a point to get some local news from Filipino stores located in some Chicago suburbs to keep myself abreast with what's going on in my native country Philippines. And I could still remember reading the news story  that reported about the thousands of lives buried in mud when a nearby mountain that perched on a hilltop crumbled down due to an earthquake and engulfed whatever it passed by, school buildings, houses, vegetable plantations, and every living person in the area. I even made it a point whenever I pray the Holy Rosary at night (I inherited it to pray the Rosary from my mother who died at 87 in April 1995 in Cebu City) and even doing it to say something for the peaceful repose of the souls of the victims for several months that took place in Barangay Guinsaugon, St. Bernard, Southern Leyte.

Footnote: This comment came out in connection with an article written by Jobers Bersales for the Cebu Daily News as he was there recently to visit the place as the 9th year annual anniversary was only 2 days away when they left the place of Guinsaugon. It came out on February 19, 2015.

Comments

Popular Posts